Friday, November 27, 2009

Spiced Pumpkin Pie

I am converted . I have had a conversion ..... I take back everything I have said or written .......NO ..... I am not joining a sect .... just beginning to like pumpkin pie !!


My little gourmet , daughter number 1 , professed to me that she likes pumpkin pie , and she would like to make one for Thanksgiving . I embraced the fact that she wanted to make something , BUT , I cringed at the thought of having to make pumpkin pie. The truth be told - my culinary experiences have been pretty sad to date and the thought of having to expose myself to actually making one needed a deep deep breathe !!!

So, we perused my collection of cookbooks and came across this wonderful and abundantly simple recipe by Sara Foster with the pie crust recipe from the Barefoot Contessa . Maybe keep this recipe in store for next year , maybe consider it for the upcoming holiday season . Have I just shown I am not a local by espousing that we dare to eat pumpkin pie after Thanskgiving ?

Number 1 daughter made this pie all by herself , barr a couple of minutes of tutorial from the Gourmet Goddess , mainly helping out with the pie crust ... the rest was sheer GG pride !!!!

I hope everyone had an enjoyable Thanksgiving and heres to the upcoming Holiday Season !!!

Spiced Pumpkin Pie
adapted from Sara Foster and the Barefoot Contessa

The Crust
2 cups graham crackers ( 14 crackers)
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinammon
1 stick unsalted organic butter
Place crackers in food processor and pulse until nice and crumbly, add sugar and cinammon and pulse to combine then add the melted unsalted butter . Place in 11inch tart pan , with removable base , press evenly into the sides , using a measuring cup for uniformity. Bake for 10 minutes at 350F ans allow to cool slightly before adding the pumpkin mixture .
The Filling
3 large organic eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 can sweetened condense milk, 14 oz
1 tin organic pumkin puree , 15oz
3 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 tesaspoon ground cinammon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of kosher salt

1 prepared pie crust as per recipe above.

Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine eggs, sugar , condensed milk and pumpkin puree in a bowl and mix with a wisk to combine well. Add the butter and stir until thoroughly blended .
Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add to the pumpkin mixture.
Pour into prepared and cooled pie crust and bake for 40-50 minutes until the pie is light golden brown on top and firm to the touch and set in the center when you jiggle it .
Cool completely and decorate with whipped cream or some delicious good quality vanilla ice cream.

Note to self : Maybe by this time next year I can write and let everyone know that I now LOVE pumpkin pie .... but lets not get ahead of ourselves !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment